I was inspired by Omnomicon’s Rainbow cake and made my own. I used a different recipe but copied her coloring process.
• 4 cups white whole wheat flour
• 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup shortening
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup Splenda
• 4 eggs beaten
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 cups milk
• food coloring – at least 2 packages of 4 colors.
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Mix flour with baking powder and salt.
3. Cream shortening with the sugar and Splenda.
4. Add beaten eggs and beat mixture until smooth then stir in vanilla.
5. Add flour mixture alternately with milk into creamed mixture.
6. Lightly grease and flour spring-release baking pan.
7. Divide batter into 6 dishes and add a color of the rainbow to each dish using food coloring (use color chart on back of packages to create your colors).
8. Drop the colors, one by one, into the middle of the pan, to make concentric circles.
9. Cook for 45 minutes then cool in pan for 5 minutes.
10. Turn out to cool completely on cake rack.
11. Frosting as desired (I used Omnomicon’s, but it was not my favorite)